Apply for a Building Permit


Building permits are required before the commencement of building work. It gives a written approval by a registered building surveyor confirming that your documentation is complying with the Building Regulations. 

Building Permit Melbourne l Pool Inspections Melbourne l building surveyor Melbourne l Pool inspections Victoria l Building Permit Victoria

How to Apply for a Building Permit


The requirements for Building Permit are different, depending on the complexity and nature of a building project. The following is prepared to guide you through the building permit application process, and if further information is required, please email your enquiry to or call on 0405 956 655. 

To apply for your Building Permit, in addition to a completed Application Form you may need to provide information such as:

Building permit application fee.

Based on regulation 265(c) of the Building Regulations 2018, we must receive remuneration for services as a building practitioner solely by the professional fee or other benefits specified in the contract of engagement. All professional costs associated with our work will be identified in our proposal and terms of service that both parties will agree with. Schedule 2 of the Building Act requires that an application for a building or occupancy permit to a private building surveyor must be accompanied by the fees determined by the private building surveyor. Our application fees will be determined at the time of application and cover the following services: 1. ​Notification to the relevant local council under s.80 of the Building Act; 2. Building Surveyor initial assessment of the application in accordance with the requirements of the Building Act 1993, Building Regulations 2018 and deemed to satisfy provisions of the National Construction Code. 3. One Request for Further Information. 4. Final review of the provided information. 5. A decision on the application, e.g., issuing building permits. ​Note, additional fees can also apply during the assessment process which must be paid by the applicant for the services that may be required, and that includes but not limited to, decisions on protection work or combined allotment. ​ The following statutory fees are also applicable at the time of permit: ​State building permit levy (0.128% of the cost of works for work above $10k); and Council permit lodgement fee ($121.90/permit). For more information, please refer to the guide to application fees identified on our website.​​

Builder's registration number or a certificates of consent for owner-builders?

If the cost of domestic building works exceeds $16,000.00, the work must be carried out by a registered builder or owner-builder with a certificate of consent from the VBA. If the cost of the work is more than $10,000 but less than $16,000, the work must be carried out by a registered builder however an owner-builder certificate of consent for an owner builder will not be required for owner builders. If the cost of domestic building work is less than $10,000, Builder's registration and the certificate of consent for owner builders will not be required.

Report and consent under s.29A of the Building Act 1993.

Applications for building permit for demolition works, where the demolition is relevant to a part of a facade of the building or all of the building, a planning permit or report and consent from the relevant local council will be required.

Evidence of precautions before and during demolition or removal.

The following precautions shall be in place before and during demolition works:

1. All precautions must be taken before and during demolition following Australian Standard 2601-2001.

2. No demolition work shall be commenced until precautionary measures have been inspected and approved.

3. Before demolition is commenced, all-electric apparatus which can cause danger should be disconnected.

4. A demolisher shall supervise the work during the process.

5. Demolition work shall be performed storey by storey, commencing from top to bottom.

6. All precautions shall be taken to avoid danger from the collapse of a building.

7. All asbestos on the site shall be removed by a registered asbestos removalist.

8. When a demolition site adjoins a footpath, a hoarding will be required as identified on the AS2601-2001.

9. Demolished material shall be removed as soon as practicable from the site.

10. Dust creating material, shall be lowered by hoisting or removed.

11. No part of a building on or within 3 metres of a street alignment shall be demolished except during 7.00am to 6.00pm weekdays.

14. No part of a building shall be left unattended in such a condition that it may cause risk to others.

15. Protective outriggers shall be installed to guard against danger to life or property.

17. No bulk excavation or levelling of the site forms part of a demolition permit.

If there are any queries, please call on 0405956655 or email your enquiry to

Approval of the relevant authority for building over easement.

Report and consent must be provided for work that is to be constructed over an easement or where the work requires installation or alteration to a septic tank.

Property information from the relevant council under r.51(2).

The applicant must provide property information from the local council to show if the building is in an area that is liable to flooding, attack by termite, snowfall and/or bushfire.

Report from the relevant council indicating the location of the point of discharge.

We require a report by the relevant council indicating the location of the point of discharge and engineering design to show how every stormwater drainage will be connected to the point of discharge.

Proof of ownership and/or title certificate.

Application for building permit must be accompanied by a current certificate of title and property certificates. You can obtain the certificate from

Domestic building work insurance.

A copy of domestic building insurance will be required if the work is to be carried out by a builder and the value of work is above $16,000.00.

Evidence of suitability.

Documentation will be required to show that the proposed building work will meet the National Construction Code Requirements. The design documentation must refer to the materials and form of construction and confirm how the requirements of the NCC will be met. e.g. certificate of compliance by a structural engineer and engineering design, energy efficiency report or a Codemark certificate

Architectural design.

Where the cost of building work is greater than $10,000.00, a registered draftsman or architect must prepare the documentation for design. Documentation must, at the minimum, include the following: 1. Allotment plans; 2. Floor layout at each floor level; 3. Elevations of a building from different views; 4. Sections details, dimensions, the sizes and locations of structural members; and 5. Details that are necessary to show compliance with building regulations. Where there is a non-compliance with the siting requirements, planning permit/report and consent will be required.